Friday, September 17, 2010

Hey Jude

Well, we've had Jude for a little over a week. This bunny has been amazing and full of surprises.

First of all ::drumroll please:: Jude is a girl! We took her to the vet for a check up, nail trim, and to get her sexed and see if by some good fortune she was already fixed. The vet said she is a girl and not fixed. =( So, I'm trying to make calls and get info about low cost spay clinics in my area (it will cost $500 to get her spayed at our regular vet).

It's super important to me that Jude gets spayed both so she doesn't end up contributing to rabbit overpopulation, and so she has a long and happy life with a lower risk for cervical and uterine cancers. Hopefully I can find a lower cost clinic soon!

Other news is that we've introduced Jude to Hef and Holly. Huz and I have been sitting on the floor with Jude and Hef and Holly and monitoring their "playtime". Hef and Holls are still very territorial and while they tolerate Jude, they aren't in love with her. They'll be around her for a while (if we bribe them with food), but Hef will chase her away once in a while or scare her. I feel bad because Jude is so loving and you can tell that she is really curious and wants to go make friends with the other bunnies. Since they're not really playing with her, she's taken to Huz and me. She wants to be right next to us. If we scooch away, even a bit, she'll move even closer. She'll crawl into Huz's lap and take a little nap. She loves when we pet her head or ears, and rewards us by licking us and "grooming" us right back. She's super affectionate and very social, and just the sweetest thing.

I've said it before, and it's so true- spending lots of time with bunnies allows you to experience how different they each are. It's been so fun to have an affectionate lap bunny who loves on us right back. I always thought Hef and Holly loved us, but I've had to come to terms with the fact that my bunnies are total fatties. They are very treat motivated and often when I think they're loving on me or excited to see us... they really just want to know if we have any food for them. That's the extent of their interest in us. It's okay with me because they're a lot of fun, and I love them. I'm just glad I finally realize my place in this relationship. ;)

So, tomorrow we have a date to meet a potential adoptive Mom for Jude. Honestly, part of me really hopes that everything goes smoothly and that tomorrow we find her forever home. Jude deserves a place of her own to run around and do happy bunny dances in. And she is such a happy, loving bunny that I know she'll make any Bunny Mama proud. I know first hand that she is a wonderful, amazing rabbit.

I think that's why the other part of me, the selfish part, wants to keep Jude. I feel like WE could make amazing parents to her too. I know we'd do a great job, and I know she's happy here. I love how she comes to the front of her hutch in the morning, waiting for me to pet her. Even when I offer a bit of carrot, or a grape, or cilantro, she's happy to ignore it if I'll just scratch that spot behind her ears. And she LOVES Huz. Loves his lap, his pets, and loves to lick his hand. He's grown very attached to her too. He looks like a sweet little boy when he picks up that bunny and sings "Hey Jude.... don't be afraid" to her. We are smitten. We're both in love with her, and if tomorrow is the day she gets a new family, it's going to be hard to say good bye.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. Now that I'm all weepy, I need to go and cuddle a sweet little bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment