Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Bunday: Sanctimommy- Bunny Edition

Sanctimommy
Definition: a mother who points out perceived faults in the parenting of others

I was judged by a mom today. I was asked questions, and I could tell in her eyes that she was just waiting for me to give the wrong answers. I'm sure she thought she was just being chatty, but I could feel the judgment radiating off of her. And the weird thing is, I don't even have kids!

I took the Buns to a SaveABunny event. They got their nails trimmed, and I got to talk to one of my fellow Crazy Bunny Lady friends. Her name is D, and she watches the Buns for us when we're out of town. We get our hay from her too. She is a Bunny Jedi, I swear! She is amazing.

Anyway, at this event, there was another Bunny loving lady. When I came in with my three buns, she walked over to me and started chatting me up. At first, it was fine. She asked if all the bunnies were mine, what their names are, how long I've had them. But then I noticed that she would narrow her eyes at me, and seemed to wait for me to answer just so she could pounce on me and ask more questions. "Are they all bonded? Are your rabbits fixed? How old are they? What do they eat? How often do they go to the vet?Do they live inside or outside? Did you adopt or buy? Do you live in an apartment or house? Do they go outside?" etc.

It quickly became obvious that she was not just curious. She was totally waiting for me to say something that she could judge and feel superior about! It was so funny to me that I couldn't even be upset. I felt the need to look around and see if we were at a local playground and I had forgotten my fair-trade, organic, locally and sustainably grown (or better yet, organic, home grown with all natural, bunny poop fertilzer), hemp wrapped cilantro and carrot-top snacks for my babies. It's absolutely hilarious, and pretty weird that there was an attempt to pull me into that crazy, judgy, mommy world, and I'm not even a parent! If that's just a little taste of what it's like, then maybe the whole taking care of a living human thing may not be the most nerve-racking part. Those other parents are certainly pretty scary too!

I do the best I can for my bunnies. I really do love them, and they are part of our family. It makes me so happy to have them in our lives. But I really don't have a need to feel superior to other bunny parents. And I reeeeeally don't want anyone using me to feel superior.

And with that, I'm off to play "Your Bunny Can Read" for Hef, Holly and Jude. Oh wait... I can't allow them to watch TV... we'll just have to listen to Bunny Mozart again instead. ::wink::

No comments:

Post a Comment